About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world: Where I'm just living my life the best that I know how... Day by day.

Friday, June 29, 2012

"Hairy" situation? It's time for a change!

First of all, let me just say TGIF!
Fridays are just fantastic aren't they?
Okay guys and gals, especially gals,you know when you get bored with something and just need a change? Some people need drastic change; others may need something a little more subtle. Well, I needed a change. I have been growing out my hair for so long now that it has become quite long. I love the versatility of my long hair, so I couldn't quite make the plunge to cut it all off, but I needed a change! So, what could I do? Play with highlights, of course! Okay, this may not seem like a big deal to y'all, but you don't understand. I am a highlights virgin! I welcome change, but change can often be a little frightening...and this was terrifying! However, since I committed to making a change, and I refused to cut off my long hair, I decided to commit to highlights and a slight style change. Hoping this would satisfy my itch for change and not throw me into complete panic mode, I went with it. I am very particular about my hair, and I could not even begin to imagine what it would look like. I did what every girl would do and started Google-ing. Is that even a word? Anyways, I found thousands of absolutely atrocious examples, but I came across some attractive ones as well. My problem was picturing the ones I like on myself. Thank goodness for my trusty dusty hairstylist! I have only let three people EVER cut my hair, one of which being my mom, the second of which stopped styling hair. Thus, I was onto a third. He has moved around to a few different salons, but I follow him wherever he goes! His name is William Evans, more commonly known as Will, and he is currently located at a salon known as "Paula's Escape" in Manchester, Tennessee. Do you want to know how I make sure I always leave the salon happy? Keep reading, and I'll share my essential tips with you!

I don't know how many people I have come across that were unhappy with their new hairdo, color job, cut, or style after visiting a salon. So, I decided I would share my own tips for making sure I leave the salon happy! Follow these simple steps, and you will be sure to be pleased with every salon visit from here on out.

  1. Break up with your hairdresser! You aren't married to your stylist, it's okay to break up with them. Unless you really are married to your hairdresser, then I'm sorry, but you're out of luck here. If you aren't happy with your hair every single time you leave that salon, then that's just not a healthy relationship. It's time to move on to bigger and better things.
  2. Find the right hairdresser! You will need to do a little research. I find that the best way to do this is by word of mouth. Talk to your friends (preferably the ones whose hair you actually like), and see who they recommend. It is also important if you have a really particular hair-type to get in contact with someone whose is similar to yours. Just because a hairdresser was really good for your friend with really thin, short, straight, blonde hair doesn't mean that stylist will be a good match for your thick, long, curly, brown hair. Then again, if they really are an excellent hairdresser, they will be excellent with all hair types. Also, just because a particular salon doesn't have the best reputation, doesn't mean that they don't have the best hairstylist in town working there. You don't need to get caught up in looking for a "good salon," you need to be looking for an individual hairdresser. Sometimes you might have to sort of shop around, but always remember that nothing you do with hair is totally permanent. It will grow back, and the color can be fixed if someone really screws up. 
  3. You get what you pay for! Okay, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind putting some money into my hair, but I also don't get my hair done more than three times a year. If you are on a tight budget and get your hair done all the time this might be a tough step for you. However, for those of you pinching pennies, I highly recommend transitioning to a style that doesn't require major upkeep. That way, you can put a little bit more money into your salon visits since you won't have to visit as often. Let's be real, if jump on the "$5 haircut deal today only" train, you will probably be leaving the salon looking you paid about $5, if that, for your haircut. More than likely, you won't be happy, and you'll end up going somewhere else to get it fixed. So, you just wasted a perfectly good $5.  
  4. Decide what you want! When choosing what you are going to have done to your hair, I find it very helpful to make a "wanted" list. Write a list of what qualities you specifically want, and maybe even more importantly, what you do not want. Look at pictures in magazines and on the internet, and print or cut out the ones you like. Bring the pictures and your list to your stylist. A great hairdresser will be able to tell you what he/she thinks won't work for your hair, and will be able to offer suggestions on how they could tweak it to make it work for you. Be sure to tell your stylist what you want. It is their job to make you happy, it's what they get paid to do. Do not feel like you are inconveniencing anyone because you feel like you are being picky. It's your hair! This is something you wear for the world to see every single day, you have a right to get what you want. With that being said, if in the end you aren't totally satisfied, express your dissatisfaction! Don't wait until you leave, call up your best girlfriend, and start crying about how awful your hair looks. If you call me, I'm going to tell you to turn your sorry behind around and go right back in that salon and have them fix it. Like I said, it is their job to do your hair how you want it. Then again, if they do exactly what you ask and it just isn't working for you, that's quite unfortunate. However, any good salon will want you as a customer and will do whatever they can to fix it and make you happy. If it's absolutely terrible and not like anything you described, run away. Run away fast. Straight to another salon. 
After using these steps and settling down with my current hairdresser, I feel at ease when I go to get my hair done. Usually, I go into the salon, and I tell my hairdresser to do his thing. I trust him with my hair so much, that I know he knows even better than I know myself what will look good on me. Yesterday, I was terrified about getting highlights, but that had nothing to do with my trust in my hairdresser. I just wanted a change and was a little scared of it. I told him I was thinking about some lowlights as well, but his suggestion was not to go that route because he would have to use an almost black color for them to show in my hair, and he thought it would be a little much for me to handle. Also, I told him I wanted to keep my hair long, but I wanted a little bit of a different style. I put him in a tight spot, because I pretty much told him not to cut my hair off, but I want something that looks different. Here Will, you can only choose between option A and option B, but I want option C. Leaving him with little options, he still knew just the thing to do. He cut about four inches off, which sounds like a ton of hair, but my hair is so long that four inches is hardly noticeable. That was necessary to get all my dead ends off and leave the edges nice and healthy. For a different look, he added some layers in around my face. With the highlighting, four inches cut, and layers around my face, I feel like a new woman today. I don't look incredibly different, but it's just different enough to fulfill my need for change. 

What are your thoughts?
Have a fantastic Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment