About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world: Where I'm just living my life the best that I know how... Day by day.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Just a Little Rant

Well, my chicken crescent roll casserole dinner has not been made yet. Sunday, being mother's day, I spent the day with my mom and then had dinner with Justin's mom....so Sunday was out. I was all ready to make dinner yesterday, but Justin "floated the river" with some friends while I worked (at the City Hall where I love my job!)....so yesterday was out unless I wanted to cook for myself. Therefore, tonight's the night, and I plan to blog all about it tomorrow.

Now, onto my rant....
So, apparently the government considers my scholarship money to be "taxable income." I have worked my butt off to earn the scholarships that I have. I have worked so hard that I have earned enough scholarship money to exceed the cost of tuition and fees at my college. So, what happens to the excess? Many colleges and universities don't "stack" scholarships, but my school does, meaning any excess money is given to me in a check. I earned that money, and I believe I have a right to it (and obviously Motlow College agrees). So, what happens to the excess money? Partying, having fun, and doing whatever college kids do, right? WRONG. As a nursing student, I have 12 textbooks for one course, not to mention the cost of textbooks for my other classes. If you don't know how much college textbooks cost these days, you should take a look. I also have to purchase many supplies such as required scrub uniforms and shoes, a stethoscope, a blood pressure cuff, lab coat and goggles, and so on. Our college does not have dorms, so commuting is the only option. You guys have seen gas prices these days, so you can imagine the cost of driving to and from campus every day. Also, the food I eat on a daily basis is a factor, especially when a salad costs more than a cheeseburger and fries these days. All of these things get paid for with my excess scholarship money. Yes, the money does not go directly to pay for my classes, but it does, however, indirectly fund my education.    
So....what am I ranting about exactly? Well, I was quite shocked when tax time came around this year. I received something in the mail which I expected to be my return (yay!!).....except it wasn't a return at all. It was a letter informing me that I OWE just short of $400. Let me get this straight, did I just PAY for my SCHOLARSHIPS? That just sounds silly, does it not? I think so anyways. $400 is a great amount of money for a college student! I take great pride in putting myself through college. Being the youngest of 5 children, 2 of which went to private colleges, 2 of which are attending big universities, I am very proud to say that my parents have not paid a cent out of pocket for my college education. My parents raised me to be a self-supportive independent woman, and if the government is going to make me pay for that, then so be it. I guess I don't really have a choice! Anyways, that's enough ranting for one day.

Although I am now $400 poorer, ranting has made me feel slightly better.
Hooray for therapeutic blogging ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment